Thursday, April 20, 2006

Las Vegas, the French and cards

Here I am, talking to you (see my photo?) Well, I booked the flight, the car and The Parisian. If you know me at all, you must know that I really want to be French, so staying at the Parisian is almost the next best thing. Hmmmm, dinner at the Eiffel Tower. A stroll down the Champs de l'Elysee. Espresso at a sidewalk cafe. There's something about things French that are just so civilized. Classy. Artistique.


I understand that when the Parisian opened, its staff spoke French to the guests. I hear that they don't do that anymore. (sigh) Can't wait until travel is cheap and STC can plan a conference in France! But I won't hold my breath.


I've been practicing betting. I bet a guy at work today that the new equipment will come in just after the next release. The odds aren't very high, but I'm learning to stretch.


My older brother taught (corrupted) me how to play poker when I was 4 years old. I'm a gambler from childhood. We played for bottlecaps. Do you remember bottlecaps? How about pull tabs? We played acey-deucy, where aces and 2s were wild. I won a lot at first; somehow I always win easily when I play a card game for the first time. Then my luck, or whatever it is, wears off. I remember playing a couple of hands with my brother, and I had a royal flush, and then, just a couple of hands later, I was dealt another one. What's the odds of that??? Haven't seen a royal flush since. (That's 10-jack-queen-king-ace of the same suit. It's the best you can do!!) A four-year-old can't do much with a royal flush...except tell stories about it later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

STC Chicago Announcements

STC Chicago

STC Blog

Society for Technical Communication