Saturday, June 02, 2007

A glimpse into a great gig

Bruce Worthel, a Senior Member of STC Chicago, is featured in the June 2007 issue of Intercom with his article "Working at Fermilab: An Accelerated Career" (the article is available to STC members only).

In the piece, Bruce explains how he got started:

During the fifteen years I spent as an operator and crew chief, I complained so much about poorly written manuals and procedures that my bosses, who had heard that I wrote fiction, said that if I thought I could do better, I should try. At the time, we were starting to lose experienced operators and technicians along with their knowledge, so we started gathering their expertise into reference books. I jumped at the chance to show how easy it is to read and understand simple active sentences and procedures in a logical flow of instructions.

When he's not being technical, Bruce keeps his creative side busy by writing fiction, acting, and teaching martial arts. It's obvious from the tone of the article that he really enjoys what he does, and that can be a distinguishing factor between a good job and a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

STC Chicago Announcements

STC Chicago

STC Blog

Society for Technical Communication